Don’t know what to do with your fabric scraps? Here is a simple project that is quick, easy and gives you practice with interfacing and sewing through multiple layers.
It also gives you a chance to practice using your zipper foot without the stress of actually putting in a zipper!
You will need:
>a heavy weight sewing needle (I used 100/16)
>a key ring
4. Fold the top to the center crease (so the raw edges will meet)
1. Fit your sewing machine with a heavy guage needle (one that will work on denim works fine)
2. Edge stitch (1/8″) down one side of the strip
3. When you get to the end of the strip, keep the needle in the fabric, lift the foot, turn the the fabric clockwise 90′, put the foot back down and continue to sew the narrow edge of the strip
4. Repeat the above step when you get to the corner and continue stitching down the other side of the strip
1. Fold the strip in half (right sides together – this means the side of the strip that you want to see is on the inside right now)
3. Stitch the open edges together following the same stitching you made previously
1. Turn the strip right side out
The seam should now be on the inside of the key chain
1. Using the zipper foot on your sewing machine, stitch a straight line as close to the key ring as possible