I can’t tell you how excited I was when I received my two new, coordinating fabrics from Heather Bailey: Pop Garden Rose and Bijoux Fushia. To satisfy myself I needed a a quick and easy pattern so I could make something from this lovely duo.
I’ve been wanting to try out the Buttercup Bag by “Made By Rae” for quite a while and thought this was the perfect opportunity. I’ve seen this bag all around the internet and the pattern can be had for FREE on Rae’s blog .
It only requires a fat quarter of fabric (hence the popularity) and the bag is really cute! So, off I went expecting my beautiful new bag to be finished in the hour I had before I had to pick up my kids from school.
Let me start with showing you a picture of the finished bag: Looks good, right? From far away it does…..
Ugh. What a mess.
So, WHAT HAPPENED? Well first, I broke the cardinal rule of sewing – NEVER RUSH! I was in such a hurry to finish this bag that I barely read the directions (although I did feel like they did skip around a bit). Since the bag is quite basic, that wasn’t that big of a deal, but rushing and impatience did add to my problems.
Here is where my problem started. The directions say to place the magnetic snap 1/2” down from the top (of the lining). I did do this, but had I not been rushing I would have realized that the snap should have STARTED 1/2” down from the top….I put the center of the snap 1/2” down. This did not give the room I needed for my seam allowance AND for a top stitch.
Of course I realized this when I was sewing the lining to the exterior of the bag. Now….normally, I would have just taken the time to re-cut the lining and do it right, but since I was in such a rush I thought I could possibly “fake” it. No such luck. You see the results!
The top-stitching became a nightmare, and a mess when I tried to sew past the snap. So much for my cute little bag.
It wasn’t all bad though, I did confirm that there are a few changes I would make to the pattern (which I actually incorporated into this bag).
- I used fusible interfacing for the exterior pieces of the bag to give it a bit more structure – it also makes the pleating more defined.
- I chose to sew the strap into the bag as opposed to “onto” the bag (after the bag is finished) as the directions call for.
- I top-stitched the opening of the pocket (I just like the look)
- My next version of this bag will have a shorter strap. The directions don’t tell you exactly how long to make it, and I feel I made this one too long for the size of the bag.
So there it is. A project that went wrong. Totally my fault! So, take my advice….don’t rush your sewing projects…it just leads to mistakes!
Oh well….At least I got to see my fabrics paired on a finished product and my 4 yr old daughter has a fun new bag to play with!