Oakshott Challenge: Patchwork Tote

Oakshott-Sewplicity Cover3 Several weeks ago I was selected to participate in the “Oakshott Challenge” hosted by Sew Mama Sew.  The rules of the challenge were pretty straight forward:  Make a patchwork tote using a fat eighth bundle of Oakshott Lipari.   Oakshott-Sewplicity Tote

Prior to this challenge, I was not familiar with this line of fabric, but now that I am, I have to say….I AM IN LOVE!   Oakshott-16 Aside from the beautiful rich colors, this cotton fabric has this gorgeous sheen to it is just amazing!  I couldn’t wait to start working with it.  Of course, my biggest challenge was deciding what to do.  As my followers know, I am NOT a quilter…not by any stretch of the imagination…so this was indeed going to be a challenge.  I combed the web for ideas, I called my Mom (the quilting expert)…I scoured quilting books, and in the end, I decided to go with a simple “quilt-as-you-go” technique.

The idea behind this type of quilting is quite easy.  Start with a tiny piece of fabric, quilt it to a batting square then repeat.  You continue adding pieces of fabric around and around and quilt, quilt, quilt until the square is finished.  This is great patchwork option for non-quilters like me!

The Challenge rules required we use at least 6 of the colors provided.  Originally I was going to stick with the blues and greens, but after making my first block, I just had to try making one with the reds… Oakshot Quilt Blocks

How could I NOT use ALL of these stunning colors? Oakshott-Colors Once I had my blocks connected, I added two contrasting strips of Lipari Pollara to frame them, and my tote started to emerge.

Oakshott-8

I  added a quality faux black leather for the base of the tote which I felt gave it balance.   Oakshott-75

And used rolled, leather handles to compliment the leather base.  You can find the tutorial on how to attach these handles HERE.

Oakshott-23

With such a beautifully detailed exterior, I had to quilt the interior as well.  I wanted to bring in the black from the exterior accents so I used the Oakshott Milazzo to bind my pockets. Oakshott-37

I have to say, I am extremely happy with how this tote turned out.  It is by far one of my best totes to date. Finished Tote If you would like to be inspired by more gorgeous totes made from this beautiful fabric, make sure to stop by my fellow blogger’s who are participating in this challenge as well:

Teresa of Dandelion Drift
Anjeanette Klinder
Megan of Monkey Beans
Erin of Seamstress Erin
Michelle of Falafel and the Bee

And if you are looking for some rich fabrics for quilting, I would recommend you give Oakshott Lipari a try…I have to say, I truly enjoyed the quilting process on this project, and I can’t tell you how many compliments I have received on this bag!
Oakshott-41 WM

Disclaimer:  The Oakshott Lipari fabric used to make this tote has been provided by Sew Mama Sew.

Blog_Signature

Comments

1. says

Beautiful, I love the way you quilted the inside too and also enjoyed your Tutorial on the rolled leather handles.

2. says

I love the addition of the faux black leather at the bottom and the rolled leather handles. You made a very traditional quilt block look chic. Brava!

3. Susan says

Your bag is stunning. The fabric is awesome and the leather accents it beautifully. Great job!

4. Ella says

Love the colors and the quilting! Was it hard to sew on the handle? I have yet to use leather but it’s on my summer to do list! Thanks for the tutorial link.

• says

The handles are not difficult to attach at all…it just takes a little time and patience to do it right – and of course the right thread! Have fun!

5. Lizzie says

Fabulous rich colours you chose! I love the leather details for the handles and bottom. Makes for a sturdy bag indeed, and the shot cotton deserves such a touch.

6. Vicki H says

I love the quilting on you bag. Wow, even the lining. Were the handles hard to put on? Thanks for sharing.

7. Sandy K says

I love your bag and the quilting is great. I think I need to try Oakshott myself.

8. Pam T. says

Your tote is fabulous! I love your color choices. I hope to work with Oakshott fabrics one of these days!

9. Barbara L says

I absolutely love what you created – the tote is simply stunning in its elegance ! Beautiful.

10. Susan K says

That is a beautiful bag. I love the colors you chose to work with. That is a wonderful tote for a car trip.

11. Michele Timms says

Wow! Your bag is gorgeous!!! I love all the close up details to truly appreciate the beautiful fabric!!

• says

Thanks! The fabric is stunning, and I tried my best to get photos that showed off the beauty of it, but honestly, photos don’t do it justice…it has this shimmering quality that just can’t be captured in a photograph.

12. says

Oh my, what a perfect way to use these stunning fabrics! Love that your tote is a combo of traditional log cabin (QAYG is cool!) and this contemporary fabric. Thanks so much for labelling the colors for us!!

13. Bekki says

Your tote is lovely. The fabrics are beautiful and I love the leather you’ve included. One seriously smart tote!

Trackbacks